- Adelphi House, Salford - Directions
- £2900 + VAT
Module syllabus (over and above the assumed Certificate in Company Direction)
Section 1 – The board and director’s role in strategic decision making
- Approaches to decision making: techniques and tools for use
- Creating a climate/culture which promotes and encourages open debate and discussion
- Influences and considerations in decision making:
- Potential impact on all stakeholders
- Corporate responsibility
- Ethical considerations
- The appropriate evaluation and management of risks associated with decisions
- Identification of conflicts of interest
- The board’s dynamics and politics; power, influence and conflict on the board.
- Types of decisions: ongoing day to day, crisis
- Impacts of decisions: allocation of responsibility for implementation; communications with stakeholders.
Section 2 – The board’s and director’s roles in handling crises
- Processes and procedures are in place in readiness for crisis situations, which ensure business continuity
- Board processes and practices are in place which maximise the possibility of potential crisis situations being identified and reputation/other risks being controlled.
- Processes ensure clarity of responsibilities in crisis situations
- Typical ‘crisis situations’, e.g. health and safety, IT infrastructure, security
- Appropriate stakeholders are consulted, involved and communicated with in responding to crisis situations, e.g. special advisors, staff, customers, suppliers, media, investors.
Section 3 – Reviewing the effectiveness of the board’s and directors’ performance
- Awareness of individual attributes of a director
- Techniques and approaches for evaluating the effectiveness of the board and individual director (including the contribution of non-executive directors and board committees)
- Communicating effectively with the board and providing feedback to enhance individual and board effectiveness/performance
The module asks delegates to reflect on their own contribution and effectiveness, in keeping with the developmental nature of the Certificate in Company Direction, but also consistent with board and director evaluation best practice.
Delegates may only attend the Diploma module on completion of the certificate courses with the exception of an exemption on certain modules.
The following elements are newly introduced:
- Decision making – processes/tools/techniques
- Crisis Handling
We do not accept delegate registrations from suppliers.